Saturday, March 7, 2015

Justine's Journal #29

52 Weeks 500 Words


This is how it began: Justine (not her real name) decided to write 500 words (or as near as), anything goes, per week for 52 weeks. She would then submit it for anonymous posting, via me, her friend. Perhaps a pattern will emerge from her words, but at this stage it’s more an experiment I have agreed to share in. I’ll attempt to draw conclusions at the end of this. Stay tuned if this resonates with you.

Week 29

"This past week a watched a friend crumble. When she heard her publisher was going out of business she was literally floored. It wasn’t so much the fact that it was closing doors, but that she now had to step up and make new plans. That must be daunting. I am not yet at the stage of publishing, and can’t quite imagine it yet, having the rug pulled, but it must be a challenge to start over.

This is the world we live in, though. Highs and lows. Things work and then they don’t, and often it has nothing to do with attitude or belief. My friend believed, and it still didn’t work out. At least I know she has the gumption not to give up. And good friends to support her.

And that would be my point this week, something I have touched on before. With support, with understanding from our friends and family, we can literally never fail. Yes, there are bumps in the road, and often great big obstacles, and yet the road remains and with someone holding your hand, if only in thought, you are able to soldier on.

This past week I watched a friend stand up again. When she understood it wasn’t the end of her world, that the choice was hers whether to rise or fall, she picked herself up. I am beyond happy she is my friend, for I have learned an invaluable lesson from her in these few days just passed. She showed me in her words, her actions, her attitude, her belief in self, her belief in her work and in the ability to be honest about how she was feeling, that the great big obstacles can become mere bumps in the road.

She will step over the bumps and soon it will be a smooth path she walks again. I am proud of her. Thank you for this lesson, my friend."


No comments: