Saturday, August 8, 2015

Justine's Journal #51

52 Weeks 500 Words


This is how it began: Justine (not her real name) decided to write 500 words (or as near as), anything goes, per week for 52 weeks. She would then submit it for anonymous posting, via me, her friend. Perhaps a pattern will emerge from her words, but at this stage it’s more an experiment I have agreed to share in. I’ll attempt to draw conclusions at the end of this. Stay tuned if this resonates with you.

Week 51

The second to last journal entry! I think I may suffer withdrawal symptoms after this J

Here’s an update of recent events. I attended a charity event for literacy and the support the campaign was most heart-warming. I am so happy to see how many care about this issue. The event included collecting books for schools and, although I did not attend the delivery drive, I hear teachers and kids both were over the moon.

On a more personal front, my brother is flying down for business in two weeks and we’ll be having dinner before he flies back. I can’t wait to see him!

My partner and I currently discuss finding a new place for the two of us. Mine is too small for him to move in (although he spends most of his time with me anyway!) and his is a bachelor flat. This means we are in fact deciding whether to spend the rest of our lives together. No talk of marriage, but neither of us needs that kind of formality, not yet anyway. Both of us have been burned, and we’re taking it step by step. Still, you should see the massive smile on my face when no one is looking! I feel the future is very bright and I’m loving life right now.

Around me life continues.

I saw a boy fall from his bike the other day and my entire body tensed in sympathy with him. He picked himself up and pushed his bike into a nearby driveway, so he was all right … although I did notice the tears, poor little guy.

Cold nights at the moment mean the homeless really take strain. A few of us in the neighbourhood donated old jackets and blankets to a collection charity. The days are warmer now as winter moves towards spring, but the nights aren’t. Winter may still surprise us with a few ‘events’ too. I pray these folk find shelter. I wish there was a way to deal with this problem permanently, for all of us deserve a warm place and food to fill our stomachs.

As for the coming of spring. We feel it in the air now, but it hasn’t yet rained enough to fill the dams for summer’s dryness. While we would love to have the warmth back, we understand we need it to rain a lot before we can relax for summer. Here’s to hoping this happens, despite the terrible discomfort for those on the streets. This is such a conundrum for me. I wish for rain, but wish also for good days and nights to ease the plight of those less fortunate.

That’s me for this week. Keep smiling, everyone!



No comments: