Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The King's Challenge #315

TKC 315

Fenn returns with an urn of coffee, as well as a host of tablets. The former is welcome, the latter not.

“Moravin, I have no need of medication,” I mutter.

“Majesty, Lord Lorn insists.” He sets the dish on the small bedside table, taps it significantly and moves away.

Pressure builds inside me. Not anger so much as the expectation of change. Something is on approach that will alter the dynamics, and that is the pressure I feel. It may be best to keep Moravin unaware and, to that end, I ‘swallow’ the tablets with water and lean back on a sigh. Fenn gives a look and I swear there is satisfaction in his gaze. As he turns aside to decant coffee into a mug, I sneeze. He does not react, but the tabs are now in my hand rather than in my stomach. Quickly I shove them under my butt.

The coffee is heavenly and I realise I taste it more. My medication has clearly removed even the small pleasures.

“Rest,” Moravin says. “I will return with your meal.” He exits and I hear him have words with the guard outside.

Usually I sleep after medication. I become drowsy and before I know it, hours have passed. Are they drugging me deliberately or is it merely a result of the medication needed to keep me alive? I know longer know the answer and therefore it is time to discover the truth.

No one will now enter my sleeping space – a small chamber in the secret regions of this transport – and therefore I sit up. Yes, I am weak, but I am awake. Carefully I slide to the edge and lower my feet to the floor. Generally a soldier needs to prop me up at this point, for leg strength has already failed me.

Placing my weight upon aching feet, I stand. By the stars, I stand – unaided!

Then, as I am about to step forward, I sense again the change on approach. I sense the orb. I sense Enris and Iniri.


My children! My children are close.


No comments: