Friday, June 3, 2016

The King's Challenge #316

TKC 316

The door to my ‘chamber’ opens once more. I expect either Moravin or the soldier to enter and prepare myself to offer disdain. How dare they enter my space uninvited? I will do this to take attention away from the fact that I am standing when they expect me to be bedridden and possibly asleep.

Why do I feel the need to defend my actions?

The question sears into me, as does the answer. My life is in danger. There are plans in motion to take my throne. Moravin is a traitor. Is Lorn one too? I think he may be.

Neither Moravin nor the soldier enters, however.

I straighten when I see Lorn. Our gazes meet. Before I am able to call him out to answer my suspicions, I notice he is not alone and it is not Moravin darkening the doorway behind him.

“Iniri?”

My beloved daughter enters, regal and beautiful as ever, her face awash with tears and the sweetest smile greets me after so long an absence. Not even the severe uniform she wears is able to detract from her presence.

“Father,” she whispers and strides forward, dark hair swinging. Her incredible eyes are beacons that serve to light the long dark I have endured without her in my life.

I lose strength in my legs then, but she is already with me and she embraces me, holding me up, pulling me close. I am blessed indeed. My arms enfold her and I am renewed.

“Father.”

I hear my son’s voice, and it is glorious music. How I have missed him. How I have wished to see him again. I am not a king in these moments of reunion; I am a father and I am not ashamed that I am crying and laughing simultaneously.

“Enris,” I say and make space to take him into my arms as well.


We form a triangle of love and never have I been as happy.


No comments: