Friday, June 3, 2016

The King's Challenge #317

TKC 317

By the time Enris and Iniri have introduced everyone with them, as well as given brief explanation of Lorn’s diabolical plan – while my brother sits in a corner cradling burnt hands, his face without expression – enough time elapses for Moravin to return, no doubt thinking I must now be awake.

I hear his voice in the outer room and lift my hand to quieten my children. “Fenn,” I whisper.

Enris instantly faces the door and it pleases me no end that Commander Gennerin immediately takes position at his side.

A roar sounds. Moravin has discovered the unconscious soldier outside.

I grip the man my daughter introduced as Damin Mur, my fingers insistent on his arm. “Do you know yourself?”

The fair man was about to move to Enris’s other side, but he pauses to offer me an enigmatic look. “They called me Coltern.”

“Indeed. Will you stand at my son’s side, General Coltern?”

More than one head whips to around to look at the fair man, including Iniri’s, especially Gennerin’s. Enris does not move; clearly he has already uncovered the man’s true identity. Lorn, I note, narrows his attention, although no emotion crosses his face. While I wish to throttle my brother, Moravin is priority.

“As I stood at your side, Majesty,” Coltern murmurs, offering the smallest smile.

I release him, and my most trusted general of many campaigns steps into place beside my son. He and Enris glance at other, with Enris raising eyebrows at him and Coltern shrugging. This time his smile is large and somewhat predatory. It fills me with relief.

Fenn Moravin bursts in then, weapons drawn.

“Kill shot?” Coltern asks.

“He lives for now,” Enris mutters, and the three men attack.

In short order, Moravin is hogtied and gagged. Blood flows from a wound in his shoulder and a gash upon his forehead, but he is in no danger of dying. He managed to pull his weapon once before Gennerin kicked it out of his grip, and he aimed the shot directly at me.


If I harboured any doubts, they were now laid to rest. Traitor.


No comments: