Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The King's Challenge #342

TKC 342

Who and what Mirlin is and was cannot be my main focus, however. Therefore, abandoning my perusal of the Keeper, I return my attention to the three Makar and the orb.

The shuttle judders in that instant.

I am thrown forward against the straps holding me, but Iniri sprawls headlong to the deck of the craft, crying out. Enris hurtles backward, flailing into Kay, who grabs and holds him to contain further injury. King Linus stumbles to his knees, his face drawn into a rictus of agony.

“We’re hit!” the pilot hollers.

The shuttle ploughs into the earth in the moments following and we are thrown about. I hear Iniri scream and Linus groan, but there is little I can do to help them. Siri whimpers, the sound slicing into my mind.

“Watch the bloody orb!” Mirlin yells.

I do not see what the orb is doing to cause his warning, for we continue to jerk out of control. Our pilot swears loud and long; admiration for his imaginative use of profanity briefly causes me to grin despite my gyrations.

Then all is quiet. The shuttle has stopped its slide to nowhere. Gradually everything inside settles as well. Releasing my harness, I am out of my seat. Iniri needs me first.

The orb, however, curtails every intention.

It has grown in size, alarmingly so, and the lower curve presses Iniri to the metal floor, while the outer arches keep Kay, Siri and Enris unmoving to the right, and Linus and Mirlin to the left.

At first I think it is hurting them and then I realise it protects them. It protected them from the crazy motions of a ship out of control.

By the stars.

I meet Mirlin’s gaze and the man bloody winks at me.

“Iniri, are you all right?” I blurt out.

“Fine,” she breathes from the floor. An instant later she laughs. “How strange this is.”

Indeed.



No comments: