Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The King's Challenge #290 and #291

TKC 290 and 291

“Before we begin, I must confirm my presence aboard.”

Instantly I deny Gennerin. “I prefer that we keep them guessing.”

“Many saw me arrive, Iniri.” The commander stumbles slightly over my name, causing me to smile inwardly. I think it will be as difficult for me to call him Athol at first.

“It will circulate as rumours and that we can deal with. Unless you broadcast your presence, those we seek to find will regard them as such and not become overly concerned. They must know it is your duty to state your position and until you do …” I shrug; I have made my point.

“It is against protocol,” he frowns.

“And you are in the company of royalty about to save a king,” Damin murmurs. “You will be fine.”

“Save a king?” Leffandir blurts, speaking for the first time. “Linus Makar is aboard? Why does he require saving?”

“It is not your concern,” I snarl at her.

“Oh, it is,” she smiles coldly, “but I am merely intrigued. Linus is not my mission, but how Enris deals with his father in trouble may prove useful.”

Damin shoves her into a seat. “Hold your tongue.”

She sits, grinning to herself. I wish to pull her head from her shoulders. What did my brother see in this woman? Ignoring her, I gaze at Gennerin.

He inclines his head. “I am a ghost at this time.”

Laughing, I perch on one of two bar chairs set below a high counter. “I shall now determine Enris’ position.” Closing my eyes, I begin the quest. Long minutes pass before I open my eyes and frown at the three staring at me. “Nothing. That cannot be right.”

“Allow me,” Damin says and immediately stares upward as if seeking answers there. More long minutes go by before he lowers his head, saying, “He is in a place where there is some kind of shield …”

Gennerin gasps, but does not interrupt.

“… and he cannot sense me through it. I have the impression of …”

“… blue space,” Gennerin remarks in a grim voice. “I know where he is. That is the engine section. It is shielded against accidental projectiles from both inside this craft and from the vacuum beyond. When you enter there it is akin to entering blue space.” He slaps his palms together, causing all of us to flinch. “Diabolical and clever! Few enter, and there is a system beyond that requires the highest clearance there is on a ship of this nature. Moravin will have such clearance.”

“Are we able to reach it undetected?” Damin frowns.

“Not easy. Enris no doubt has it easier; Mirlin will help him through usually sealed doors. We need …”

“Kay,” Damin states.

“Why?” I say. “What can Kay do? And where is he?”

“On the shuttle we arrived in,” Gennerin murmurs. He too gazes at Damin. “What has the Westerner revealed to you about his talent?”

“Nothing. Kay remains unaware of his gift.” Damin stretches before sitting alongside Leffandir. He continues to function as her guard and gaoler. “I touched him once up on the mountain, had to wake him, he sleeps as a dead man when he sleeps … anyway, he is unaware. Kay Laremer, however, is able to control technology.”

“He remains unaware because there is no technology on Massin,” I murmur.

“Precisely.” Damin leans back.

Gennerin eyes him. “I hesitate to ask how you understood his talent has to do with technology, being also of backward Massin, but no matter.” He blinks when Damin offers him a grin. “Then we need Kay.”

“He is on his way. I spoke to Hal and told him to tell Kay to follow …”

“Bugger, Damin, you do realise that means Siri will come too,” I mutter.

He stares at me, and swears under his breath.




No comments: