Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The King's Challenge #322

TKC 322

There are no words to describe Iniri’s process, for I do not see how she operates. After experiencing an enveloping green glow, I lapse into oblivion. Whether this is deliberate on her part or the result of my weakness, I cannot say, and the question barely occurs to me when I again awaken. It is of no matter, after all; what matters is the result.

I awaken to find Enris perching at the foot of my bed, watching me intently. Iniri sits with her forehead resting on the bedclothes beside the bed. Every line in her form suggests exhaustion.

Enris puts a finger to his lips when he marks my return, and then points at his sister. Yes, she is weary; I nod and smile and close my eyes again. Enris’ weight lifts from the edge and his footsteps move to the right, no doubt to where Leffandir waits. Iniri does not move and I am careful not to jostle her. The girl Siri is silent somewhere beyond my sight.

After the binding of brother and sister under the blue dome on Makaran I have not employed my talents much. There was no need for them and thus I gave my attention to ruling our world. While that creates a different type of talent, it has no basis in the supernatural realms. Now I reach for my inner Well; it is time to know where I am both physically and magically.

How I wish I thought to investigate my poor health using my talents, for this illness would then never have gained the foothold it did. Lorn would have been unmasked swiftly. Lorn, however, employed loyalty and trust against me, as well as his honeyed tongue. How I will deal with his treason I do not yet know. He is my brother; I do love him despite all.


I reach in … and bolt up. I am certain my eyes must be huge in my lined face.


No comments: