Thursday, June 30, 2016

The King's Challenge #344 #345 and #346

TKC 344, 345 and 346

The strangest silence awaits us when we leave the broken shuttle after a mighty shoulder-bruising battle to lower the twisted ramp. Utter silence. Arc has fallen into a void.

“It is successful,” King Linus states as he strides down to the leafy ground.

“The orb?” I glance at Enris, who nods without speaking as he walks behind his father. Commander Gennerin is already further afield with Ross and Kay, the three scouting the area. I frown in the young soldier’s direction, amazed by how often I overlook him and forget about him as if he does not exist.

Something Kay said as he followed Gennerin out nudges me into understanding. He said that the technology aboard the shuttle is untouched, although the craft itself will not again fly. We can use it, however, to summon aid when we are ready for evacuation. Kay Laremer and his talent for technology; that is how he knew to speak those insights. Ross and his talent? Nodding to myself, I move to Iniri’s side. Ross is able to vanish from thought and sight without actually going anywhere. That is his talent. In the fullness of time it will create something formidable in him.

“I am fine,” Iniri murmurs as I approach. “A few new bruises, but nothing to worry about.”

“Why are you sad?” Considering that Mirlin has just skipped down the ramp and that the pilot accompanies Siri in the Keeper’s wake, I feel I can now ask the question. We are alone, if only for a few moments.

The woman who holds my heart stares up at me. “Too much death.”

“Agreed, but there is more,” I prompt her.

Her eyelids lower over her mesmerising eyes and then she looks towards where her brother and her father are in conversation. “The orb as it is now will harvest all souls. More will now die.”

I frown. These are half answers she is giving me. “Please be straight with me.”

Her chin lifts and she meets my gaze directly. “Coltern, here at the centre of the orb’s deployment we will be safe, but no one else will survive it. Not Glonu and not Ilfin. True born Massinians may escape, but I do not know that with certainty. I have a feeling Massin will be emptied.”

I say not a word, for shock has removed from me the power of speech.

Iniri continues, her tone expressionless. “To achieve this cleansing, sacrifice is expected. Me, my love. I will not survive it either.” As my terror registers as ice throughout my body and soul, she glances at her father. “He knew the day the orb became this weapon again is also the day he must sacrifice his blood, and thus he bound me to Enris.”

“Because Enris must live. He is the heir.” I cannot believe how calm I sound when I desire to bloody murder my king for doing this to the woman I love, to his daughter.

She sighs. “Had Enris sent the orb out alone he would not now be standing there with our father. He would already be dead. Therefore I became the embodiment of the orb; I am its Warrior and I will pay the Warrior price.”

I want to shake her. I desire to scream at the spaces. I definitely wish to kill someone. And then it comes to me, the reason Enris seeks to find the Glonu vessel, the why of his desire to control the birth and death of souls. Lifting my horrified gaze from Iniri’s bright eyes, I look to the heir to the Makaran throne.

He has anticipated me. Enris stares at me expectantly, already aware of my grasp of this terrible situation. “We have an hour, Coltern. Are you with me?”

“Enris, what the hell are you up to?” Iniri blurts out, having read both my expression and her brother’s expectancy.

“I am with you,” I state with determination. “Now?”

Enris gives a wry smile. “No time like the present.” He gestures. “Mirlin will stay with her.”

Because a Soul Keeper is able to keep her alive beyond a deadline. Because Mirlin will protect her from death for a time.

“Understood.” I gently pull Iniri into my arms and hold her. “I will be back and you will live.” She does not understand my claim, for she shudders against me. Cupping her face, I kiss her softly, with all my love. “We will be married as Coltern and Iniri as well, I swear. I love you.”

She swallows. “And I love you, but I need to know what you intend to do.”

“There is no time,” I murmur and kiss her again. Then – and it is the most difficult action ever – I release my love and turn my back on her. “Let’s go, Enris.”

“Right behind you. Everyone else stays. Gennerin, no one leaves here, understood?”

Gennerin looks to his king. “Majesty?”

Linus Makar inclines his head. “We shall do as my son says, Commander.” Briefly he clasps arms with Enris. “Good hunting.”

Enris bows his head and then he is on my heels as we stride into the trees. “Your father knows?” I ask.

“He suspects. My father has the ability to see connections.”

“Are you doing this for Iniri?”

Enris comes alongside and his lips tighten before he answers. “I am not that selfish, Coltern. This isn’t only about the life of my sister. Many Ilfin will vanish into the ether this day.”

“And if you recall the Glonu there is a chance Leffandir will look more kindly upon you,” I murmur.

Snorting a laugh, Enris mutters, “Maybe. Would you prefer I lose myself to Warrior rage instead? As she currently wishes for me?”

“No,” I respond, and lengthen my stride.


We vanish into the utterly silent forest.


No comments: