Sunday, June 19, 2016

The King's Challenge #332 and #333

TKC 332 and 333

Entering the massive hangar, I am amazed by the level of activity. Shuttles leave at a pace, while crews scuttle from one point to another about various tasks. The defence of Massin is clearly in full flight, thanks to Gennerin. Soldiers’ board and weapons are loaded, as well as supplies. The din is incredible.

Perhaps I will go unnoticed in this frenzy. I hope so.

That is not to be, however, for Iniri has other ideas. She has already told me how the Ilfin accepted her and how she believes her presence aided in keeping the soldiers loyal to the ruling house; Moravin had no one to call on when he needed rescue most, after all. Now she draws me firmly forward, saying, “They need to see you. This is the endgame, father, and they must know what it is they fight for.”

Unfortunately I cannot argue with that kind of reasoning. “Then present me.”

After sending me a swift and understanding smile, Iniri calls out, “ILFIN!”

I am utterly amazed by how quickly silence arrives.

“His Majesty, King Linus!” she hollers.

Eyes shift from her to me and I swear the entire ship reverberates due to the resultant thud of multiple knees. Utter silence is given, and complete immovability.

Swallowing, I clamber onto a nearby crate. “Ilfin, look at me.” Heads snap up everywhere. “How blessed I am to be with you at this pivotal point in our history.” Eyes swivel to each other before fixating on me again. “Today we fight not only for Massin and her Ilfin, but we fight for every Ilfin world out there. We seek to defend our lives, our culture, our past and our future. We desire to succour the innocent and show no mercy for the guilty, and I am with you to fight at your side.” Inhaling deeply in the expectant quiet, I raise my right hand. “The entire Makaran family is here to fight with you!” I point at Iniri. “My beautiful and courageous daughter Iniri!”

A wave of sound erupts. The voices of many become a singular tone of acclaim.

Iniri waves at the kneeling soldiers.

Swinging my arm into the further distance where shuttles await take-off, I say, “My Warrior son Enris!”

Silence is given then, for every head shifts towards the direction indicated. Clearly Enris had kept his presence aboard a secret, and these soldiers now need to confirm my claim. I see Enris’ wry grin even at this distance as he exits a shuttle to stand at the head of the ramp.

Holding his hand aloft, he releases the green glow of the orb. Of course he needs not say a word; that action proves who he is beyond all doubt. The resultant acclaim is deafening.

“Rise!” I shout.

Soldiers scramble up, clapping, whistling and roaring.

“Do we fight together?” Iniri shouts.

Feet thunder upon the metal floor.

“Do we win?” Enris hollers from his position.

By the stars, this ship will break apart if the juddering becomes more. Grinning in the outpouring of emotion, I add my voice.

“Are we ONE?”

“WE ARE ONE! WE ARE ILFIN! MAKAR! MAKAR! MAKAR!”

Tears roll over many faces, including my own. Gennerin clears his throat quite thoroughly behind me.

“Thank you,” I say in a quiet tone, and again silence is given. “Commander Gennerin is First, my Ilfin. His command is my command.” Indicating to Gennerin to take my place on the crate, I step down.

Iniri takes my arm again and we move towards the far shuttle where Enris waits. Behind us Gennerin starts talking, but I do not hear the words. My heart – and my soul – is bursting with pride and love, and the rushing of emotion through my veins deafens me to words. I see them, though, my soldiers. I see the love, the mighty smiles, and the relief also, for now they fight for something; they are no longer simply soldiers following orders.

Yes, as I pass, I see also how the lust for battle kindles.

Excellent.



No comments: