Saturday, December 27, 2014

Justine's Journal #19

52 Weeks 500 Words


This is how it began: Justine (not her real name) decided to write 500 words (or as near as), anything goes, per week for 52 weeks. She would then submit it for anonymous posting, via me, her friend. Perhaps a pattern will emerge from her words, but at this stage it’s more an experiment I have agreed to share in. I’ll attempt to draw conclusions at the end of this. Stay tuned if this resonates with you.

Week 19

'And here we are in the days after Christmas. We still have New Year to deal with, but the big day is now behind us. For my part I discovered that my change in attitude actually helped me accept the day for what it can be. In fact, I strove to make it come about, simply by smiling more.

Imagine then my absolute surprise when my brother (I haven’t seen him in eight years and last spoke to him around five years back) phoned me out of the blue and told me he’d be nearby and would I like to spend the day with him? I said yes, and we had a really wonderful time!

Did my change in attitude bring this gift to me? This is what I now sit and ponder. Do we open ourselves to good things when we begin to regard situations and times with a more open eye and mind attitude? I believe so.

Always I've said if you think positive you’ll become positive, but this is the first direct proof of what a change in thinking, a change in how I look at things, can make happen. Proof positive indeed! Having decided to let go of my negativity surrounding Christmas, I was open to receiving. It’s not about reward, know that, but it is about a natural flow of energy. And I spent the day with my brother! How absolutely wonderful.

Next is New Year. This has always been a time of ambivalence for me. On the one hand it means the season of goodwill must end (although, for me, that ‘goodwill’ thing has been missing for years) and on the other it means the old year can now be left behind and a new start made. If the old year was filled with trials, then I look forward to starting again. If it was good before, I wonder if it means the new year holds all the trials I managed to escape in the one past. Are we not the strangest creatures? Always with the complications.

I’m aware, if you actually seek new and old, we should look to the seasons for renewals and endings, not at a calendar invented by man to mark days. New Year’s Day isn’t actually new anything, looking at it from Earth’s point of view- for us here in the south, the season of renewal begins in September. All of this is relative now, and isn't the point I’m trying to make. As a society, generally speaking, New Year is New Start, and most of us in fact tend to take stock then.

Do I make those resolutions meant for New Year? I don’t. I feel we cannot allow a list to determine our way of thinking and being. Real resolution comes from within. Have I made resolutions for 2015? I have, and it is about the natural flow of energy. Between me and you, in relationships, in life, that sort of thing. Positivity.

Some may call that LOVE. I’m holding thumbs for the good stuff.

Happy New Year!'




No comments: