Thursday, July 6, 2017

Review: Wixon's Day by Phil Williams

Wixon's DayWixon's Day by Phil Williams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My first impression of this book was that it has a literary feel to it. It’s fantasy and sci-fi, but there’s definitely an element of the more literary nature. The main character is well-developed and most of the story is told from his point of view, and as a reader one really gets to know him. The action is slower than usual, and yet it does not detract from the whole because we are one with our protagonist (therefore the literary feel). It’s epic and also surreal.

This is a strange kind of future Earth (to me) after something apocalyptic happened. Everyone is trying to survive without proper sunshine and decent resources. Empires have been formed and have fallen, and the aftermath is one of intimidation … until someone somewhere decides enough is enough, and rebellion and war follows.

On board the Hynogogia, sailing the canals of a gloom-laden world, Marquos plays his flute, a haunting melody, a call to arms, the song known as Wixon’s Day.

A brilliant read, and I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy serious fantasy. My only gripe is that I would’ve preferred it to be written in past tense. I feel present tense detracts a little from this clever and meandering tale. Otherwise, awesome. You won’t be disappointed!


View all my reviews

No comments: