Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Writer's Wednesday: An Interview with Michael W. Huard

 Welcome to the second weekly interview in row. This week we're chatting to Michael W. Huard, aka Mike!

Let's begin with who Mike is:


Michael W. Huard is a Sci-fi and Fantasy author who has lived his whole life in Maine. He loves the 4 seasons, the trees, and beauty of the state. Writing is a passion of his, the great escape, and telling a story is most wonderful in his eyes.


Hi, Mike, and thanks for being here. Love the author pic, btw! Let's get to it ...

Every writer feels the pull of a story and yet the why and when is different for all. What was your proverbial light-bulb moment? In other words, what sat you down to start writing for the first time?

As a teenager I started playing a table-top role-playing game called Dungeons & Dragons. I became a game master and was the one who played out a story-line at the table and people were really enjoying my tales.

Through the years it was easy to play and get the things out that entertained me. But as I got older and older, the time needed to gather everyone up became less and less. So finally, I took to writing. I knew it was my calling the moment my first book was published.

Tell us a bit about your process. Do you have a schedule? Do you plan or are you a seat-of-my-pants writer?

Every day I work hard in both my genres. My series are Dystopian Sci-Fi & Fantasy, and Gothic Horror & Fantasy. I write, promote, edit, format, and visualize where each are heading for the future.

My kind of reading genres! Now that the world has changed due to a pandemic, how has your writing changed?

As of late I have had more time to write and focus on all aspects of my series. I thrive in the quiet morning hours.

I'm more of a night owl, myself :) Many writers in the present either write far more or find themselves unable to write. Have you experienced one or the other in this life-altering time we now live in?

I have been writing like a mad man!

Awesome! That means we'll be seeing more from you soon ... On a more personal front, which four words would you use to describe yourself?

I believe in myself!

Great use of your four words! Which four words would you use to describe your work?

Creative escape for all!

Often personal fame and prominence for your work go together, but frequently authors prefer remaining in the background while hoping their work will assume the limelight. Is this true for you, or don’t you mind a bit of fame?

I would love my books to become movies, ha ha!!!!

So ... no problem there!!! Give us an overview of your books to date, and know that we love to read excerpts. Share with us your favourite bit of writing from you latest book.

My first series The Mystical Slayers is a science fiction tale that takes place in the 31st century. It tells the story of a brave sisterhood of women fighting for freedom in a not so beautiful America.

My latest series is called Gothic Legends, which tells the tale of an ancient vampire, Count Rothchild. He who yearns for love, but finds only blood.

I’m very excited to be wrapping up book 3 in this vampire series.


Excerpt from “FOE OF MANKIND”

Count Drakko Del Rothchild stepped forward and lowered himself into the water, going fully under. When he came back up, he swung his long, dark hair back from his face and announced with vigor, “I feel reborn.”

 

Having read all about Drakko, I concur - that explains the man to the T! Tell us about your next book (we love to know what to look forward to!).

That’s top-secret information, ha ha. Actually, I am returning to my Sci-Fi Series and working on a 6 novella series featuring the Mystical Slayers.

Now for fun, let’s ask about the favourite things we all like to read about …

Favourite book: Dracula

Favourite movie: The Postman

Favourite TV series: The Witcher at the moment!

Favourite colour: Blue

Favourite food: Taco’s

Favourite drink: Water

Favourite pet: I once had a cat named Ty!

Favourite place: A view of the ocean in Maine

Favourite place to write: Home

Favourite season: Fall

Favourite pastime (other than writing!): Martial Arts

Oooo, LOVE The Postman! And thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher :) And finally, if you could choose one person, living or dead, you would like to meet, who would it be and what would you ask of that person?

Bruce Lee, and I’d ask him how he found such great passion for life?

I remember watching his movies years ago and thinking he has so much energy :) Thanks for chatting to us, Mike, and good luck with Foe of Mankind!






No comments: