Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Writers Wednesday: An interview with Ken Fry

 It's Wednesday, time for a chat! Today we talk to Ken Fry, a prolific writer and master storyteller!



Bestselling, and multi-award-winning British author, Ken Fry, holds a university Master's Degree in Literature and has traveled around the world. The places and events are reflected in his stories and most of his tales are based on his own experiences.

He has extensive knowledge of the Art world, which he acquired while working as a Publisher in a major UK publishing house -- a wholly owned subsidiary of the HEARST Corp of the USA. In his thirteen years with the company, he worked within the Fine Arts and Antiques division of the organisation and controlled four major international titles.

He is now retired and devotes his full time to writing. He lives in the UK and shares his home with 'Dickens' his Shetland Sheepdog.

Awards:

Silver Medal Winner - Christian Thriller, Readers' Favorite Intl. Book Awards (The Patmos Enigma)

Solo Medalist Winner, Ebook Suspense Thriller, 2017 New Apple Book Awards (The Lazarus Succession)

#1 Best Indie Book 2017 by Read Free.ly (The Lazarus Succession)

Official Selection in Historical Fiction, 2017 New Apple Summer eBook Awards (The Lazarus Succession)

2017 IAN Book of the Year Awards WINNER in Christian/Religious Fiction (The Lazarus Succession)

2017 UK International Novel Writing Competition, Runner-Up (The Brodsky Affair)

Join Ken Fry's Circle of Readers and get free books and discounts:


Hi, Ken, and welcome to my Writing World! Great to have you here :)

Every writer feels the pull of a story and yet the why and when is different for all. What was
your proverbial light-bulb moment? In other words, what sat you down to start writing for the
first time?


I always wanted to write. I had an American tutor in English who told me I should get into newspapers and write. I guess she liked what I wrote. Of course I never did and ended up on the forever-dreary road of commerce. The closest I got was when I went into publishing with a UK subsidiary of the Hearst Corporation in New York. Once I had retired the only thing I wanted to do was write a book.

I’d been researching the family history and my father’s wartime flying exploits. I discovered a lot of unsettling things.

After some careful thought I realised if I mixed up fact and fiction I had the basis for my first book. My university processes helped a bit but are no guarantee for writing an acceptable and readable book.

That comes with painful experience.

However DYING DAYS was born. It sold 350 paperback copies with a publishing firm who did little or nothing to promote it. I had to do it all. That’s when I went down the Indie route.

Tell us a bit about your process. Do you have a schedule? Do you plan or are you a seat-of-my-pants writer?

I think I am chaotic with the odd signpost to show me the way. I map out what the story is about, the characters, locations and then rely on inspiration. What I write is forever being changed from one day to the next. I never really know how I will end the narrative. It kind of sorts itself out. I just don’t know how some writers’ know every move before they even start. I don’t have that sort of brain.

Sounds much like my process! Now that the world has changed due to a pandemic, how has your writing changed?

Not in the slightest. I live a pretty solitary life and the lockdowns and restrictions haven’t affected me at all. The writing carries on as before.

Many writers in the present either write far more or find themselves unable to write. Have you experienced one or the other in this life-altering time we now live in?

No I haven’t. My output remains constant. The only thing I have noticed is the lack of people about and find myself wanting some human interaction. Perhaps if I say I have become more bored lately would be as far as it goes.

On a more personal front, which four words would you use to describe yourself?

That’s difficult to answer. First off… I’m forever evaluating myself… Lazy ... Emotional … Loyal … Persistent.

Lazy and persistent! You're definitely a writer, haha!! Which four words would you use to describe your work?

Ooooh that’s a hard one as my work is somewhat diverse. Perhaps these four words go some way in answering . Thoughtful… Researched… Compassionate… Bittersweet

Often personal fame and prominence for your work go together, but frequently authors prefer remaining in the background while hoping their work will assume the limelight. Is this true for you, or don’t you mind a bit of fame?

Ha! I could do with a bit of fame. As yet it hasn’t come my way. I’m no shrinking violet and a spotlight or two trained this way wouldn’t be unwelcome!!

Give us an overview of your books to date, and know that we love to read excerpts. Share with us your favourite bit of writing from your latest book.

As an overview my books are a mixture of mainly archaeological/art-based narratives with some Christian style mystique and inference, mixed in with heavy villains, some murders, and suspense. Two books are not. They are part of a three part series, the third of which I have just completed, THE CHRONICLES OF AVELINE. These are set in the 12th Century and the Third Crusade. 
 


I presume with "latest book" you are referring to a published work. That would be ‘The Keepers Cup.’

This is an archaeological thriller --- a Christian-style fantasy based on the idea that Christ did not die. He survived the crucifixion Most of the action is in the present day involving the Vatican and the archaeologists + some real nasty priests,

My favourite excerpt is a retrospective chapter, when Yeshua (Jesus) and the Magdalene Mary decided that their age is enough for them to depart the world where the Parent awaits them. (God has no masculine or feminine form.) The Cup holds the blood and water of Christ and is used to heal people. It never runs dry.

‘They sat together in silence. Old age had forged its mark upon them. Their bodies had become frail, wrinkled and their hair grey. Yet their eyes shone with an everlasting youth. The time for them to leave their earthly bodies had arrived. There was no fear … only a peaceful joy. Their task was done. Magnificence shone from their eyes.

Mary looked at Yeshua as they stood facing each other, holding hands. “We, husband, are to become as one.”


“Beloved, we are and will always be … one. Let us return to our Parent with universal mind and compassion for all.” He kissed her forehead and she responded in kind.

Locked in an embrace of never ending love, they were wrapped in a descending shimmering white light, which by degrees transformed into one of radiant gold.

Behind it could be heard … the flutter of wings.

They had gone beyond.


Beautiful and moving :) Tell us about your next book (we love to know what to look forward to!)

I’ve just finished Aveline part 3, which to any who have read the two previous parts needs no introduction. All is settled, with a surprising and very bittersweet ending.



What I think you might like to know is what I am ‘planning’ for the next book. The narrative will at this moment in time be contained in one volume.

It begins just before the outbreak of WWI, and will follow the lives of characters known to some, some fictitious, as they get drawn into the conflict. Our initial hero has a recurring dream as he slogs through the battlefields of France. Love and death.

Someone else is also having the same dream... 

We then move to WWII. Different characters, same dream, lots of action. Love and death.

Finally the present day… conflicts and that darned dream again!

I haven't thought of a title yet.

Having read much of your work, I am looking forward to the 'dream' book! Haven't read a story of yours that doesn't draw me in!! Now for fun, let’s ask about the favourite things we all like to read about …

Favourite book 

I have several and will answer a different one each time I’m asked. This time I’ll answer…’GERMINAL’ By Emile Zola

Favourite movie

CASABLANCA with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman…. Again I could name a few more.

Favourite TV series - COSMOS

Favourite colour - BLUE

Favourite food - CHOCOLATE PUDDING WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE

Favourite drink - TAWNY PORT

Favourite pet - MY DOG. DICKENS.


Favourite place - FLORENCE ITALY….Without a doubt.

Favourite place to write - 
AT THE BAR OR MY WORK STATION

Favourite season - AUTUMN

Favourite pastime (other than writing!) - DRINKING!

Aw, love Dickens!! 
Let’s laugh together! Will you share with us your most embarrassing moment?

DATING TWO GIRLS BY MISTAKE AND THEY WERE BOTH WAITING FOR ME IN THE SAME PLACE!

(Am so laughing! And now I wonder how you sorted that out ...)
On the flipside, which moment do you regard as your most inspirational?

That’s a hard one. Do you mean personal or non personal? I’ll go for the latter.

THE STORY AND IMAGES OF ROSA PARKS, SOME TIME BACK, REFUSING TO GIVE UP HER SEAT TO A WHITE MAN ON A USA BUS.

Yes, indeed, pivotal and inspiring! And finally, if you could choose one person, living or dead, you would like to meet, who would it be and what would you ask of that person?

ALAN TURING who cracked the Nazi Enigma Code and generated work on the first ever computer, then was arrested for being gay and given the option of chemical castration or prison. He committed suicide. The greatest brain this country and much of the world has ever seen. He helped reduce the war by years.

Q: Alan, I ask of you, for this nation, that you can forgive us for our stupid barbarity. Your work remains legendary today. We would embrace you with all the sadness and love we can offer. Would you, if alive, and your existing counterparts, be prepared to work for this country that has finally opened its eyes. 

The man was a genius, indeed. Thanks so much for talking to us, Ken. It's always great to hear about the man behind the book! Cheers!


Find all Ken's books HERE







No comments: