Sunday, August 6, 2023

Why is Torrullin on the cover?

Those of you who have followed me through my writing journey will know how I've lamented about finding an image to showcase how I see Torrullin Valla (Lore's MC). Such as these from a FB album, none of which are quite right:


It wasn't that I needed to see him, it was more I hoped to show him to you. And, truthfully, the right images act as inspiration for this writer! Now, on the other hand, as I've said before, I also prefer leaving faces and features up to the reader's imagination, so, well, not a train smash that he proved elusive. A yes and no situation for me, thus. Typical writer! And then, AI art, and maybe the right prompts would bring him to life. Ha, easier said than done. My first attempt delivered this one:


Firstly, what was I thinking? To start with TV when I knew absolutely nothing about prompts etc? But the emotion is in the pic, so I shared, while telling you it's not exactly what I had in mind. Secondly, people are difficult, landscapes are far easier - should've cut my teeth on those first. I have since tried multiple times to find the right prompt, and then … well, I actually stared at my screen for quite  a time when the one popped up.


I hope he matches how you have imagined him!

Next, the idea of using him on a cover overcame me and I mocked one up for House of Valla - 'a golden bloodline spanning the ages' after all. I do like the result, and while part of me wonders if this is right for my Lore, the new cover is now live. Having asked the question on twitter (or X), the response was 50% for the old cover, 50 for the new, thus is mine an executive decision 😊 and I'll be keeping an eye, especially in the UK where House of Valla ranks consistently.

Now you know! 




No comments: