Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Writer's Wednesday: An interview with Joanne Sexton

Hello, everyone! here is the second in our series of Thorstruck Author Interviews - meet Jo!


Jo Sexton is an Australian romance writer and mother of two.  She always dreamed of writing novels and has been an avid reader most of her life.  In between being a mum and writing, she runs a small bookkeeping business. Published with Night Publishing in 2011 Jo's novel Spoilt quickly shot up the Amazon charts, fast becoming a bestselling novel around the world. Jo also recently became a qualified florist.

Welcome Jo!



1. What sparked your interest in writing? Your proverbial light-bulb moment?

There wasn't a moment where I thought, I've got to do this. It was more of a feeling. I went through a particularly difficult time in my life. I needed an escape, so I decided to do what I’d always wondered if I could do, I wrote a first draft in two weeks. I've always been quite imaginative and when I started, I think I opened a door as it all poured out after that.

2. Which genre are you most comfortable writing in?

Romance. I can’t seem to write without it!

And we love reading it! 3. Would you say you draw most often from your own knowledge base when writing or do you research for fresh material?

It’s a bit of both. I incorporate my life experiences with extensive research.

4. Tell us a bit about your work. How, for instance, do you choose your titles?

I always seem to have a title when I start. An idea will spark for an opener (I have many of these waiting to be finished) and the title will come with it. I used to be a quick first draft writer but over time I've found it easier to edit as I go. I’m now a slow and steady writer now rather than rushing through it. Unless of course the muse comes calling and I have to get the story out.

5. We love to read excerpts. Share with us your favourite bit of writing from you latest book. 

Tessa winks before returning her attention back to the performer. A tingle spreads across my skin. I avert my gaze too but can feel a blush creep into my cheeks. I can’t focus on the music; I want to stare at her beauty again. What am I doing? Emotions I’m unable to fathom play havoc in my mind. I sneak another gaze to find Molly watching me. I smile and squeeze her hand. I also didn't miss a fleeting smile from the object of my scrutiny. I applaud with the crowd when the act finishes and I feel two sets of eyes on me.

“You were better,” Molly says giving me an excuse to bring my gaze to her. Why do I need one? I should be looking at her.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice an amused smile on Tessa’s face, as though she is privy to a joke I’m unaware of. It’s unnerving and thrilling all at once.

From An American Girl




Love it!
6. Who do you identify with most in your work? And why?

Each character is different to each other and to me, but at the same time, I think there’s a little bit of me in every character. There isn't one particular character I relate more to than others. If I had to choose, the closest one to me I would say Justine from An American Girl. When it comes to leading men that’s another story again ... I have my favourites.

*wink* don't we all!
7. If you could choose who would play (the character you identify with) in the movie or series made from your work, who would it be?

For every other novel I've finished I have my leading actors already cast, except for Justine. I haven’t found anyone yet who could be Justine.

8. Which four words would you use to describe yourself? Passionate, kind, sassy and compassionate.
9. Which four words would you use to describe your work? Same as above! J 

10. I have to throw this in! That list of favourites we’re all interested in! 

Favourite book: The Bronze Horseman –Paullina Simons

Favourite movie: Love Actually

Favourite TV series: The Big Bang Theory

Favourite colour: Purple

Favourite food: Indian

Favourite drink: Champagne

Favourite pet: My cat

Favourite season: Summer

Favourite place: The beach

11. Often personal fame and prominence for your work go together, but frequently authors prefer remaining in the background while hoping their work will assume the limelight. Is this true for you, or don’t you mind a bit of fame?

A bit of fame wouldn't bother me in the least. J 


12. Tell us about your next book (we love to know what to look forward to!).

I have two books coming out in September, Fire Girl and The Chosen One. Fire Girl is the sequel to the currently released Rich Girl. It follows on from where Rich Girl left off but it is about Charlotte (sister of main character in first book) and a sexy fireman. The Chosen One is my foray into fantasy/paranormal and follows the story of Seraphina (Sera) as she finds herself in a new world full of elfin, pixies, vampires and other folk in the mystic lands. She discovers she is the human princess and is called to duty. Falling in love along the way of course.

Oooo, both sound awesome!
13. What comes next, besides a new book project? A holiday, an event?

I’m saving for a holiday at the moment, just have to decide where I want to go! No other events that I can think of ... oh I will be having a houseful of 9 year olds for my daughter’s birthday next month, that should be fun...

No doubt!!!
14. And finally, if you could choose one person, living or dead, you would like to meet, who would it be and what would you ask of that person?

Paullina Simons (Author) but I would probably be too shy to ask her anything. 

Ask away, we say :) Authors like to share ;)

Jo's latest release

Rock chicks are more complicated than they look, especially when one is becoming her destiny, the other following a classical career, and the third wheel the steaming hot lead singer of the new big thing. Scarred hearts bleed pain when the pulse of love blurs to jealousy and rage. Between family, ex-lovers, and their own clashing issues, this complicated love triangle becomes a tangled mess, leaving the shy and the reckless reeling. The future is bleak, they're isolated and misunderstood, and pride ruins passion. 

Drunken mistakes haunt Molly and Justine; their spiral into misery riveting. Strumming emotions more than guitar strings, the dynamic Justine, Tessa, and Molly, will keep you on tenterhooks of suspense in this lady on lady romance.



Writing World has reviewed Rich Girl and loved it! Writing World Review



Thank you so much for joining sharing here on Writing World, Jo! It has been a pleasure having you!




3 comments:

R.R.Jones said...

Lovely interview with a lovely lady, nice one Jo :-)

Hannah said...

Jo is a Rich Girl, writing-wise that is. And a person I'm sure if I would have the joy of meeting her in person would get on with right from the start. A girl can dream, no? Save that money for your Scotland trip. :-)

Elaina J. Davidson said...

Thank you guys for stopping by to comment! It was wonderful finding out more about Jo ;)