Friday, August 25, 2017

Review: Electus Per Deus by Bianca Pheasant


Based on true events, this intrigued me from the instant I opened it. I do recall how at one time cults made the news in SA and therefore wanted to read this. The title alone grabbed my attention – what does it mean? Where will this story go?

In one sense this is an easy read, because the author has a flowing style. She doesn’t complicate it; she tells it like it is, and I appreciated that tremendously. In another sense this is also harrowing, and that is due to the subject matter. As a work of fiction, one can read with equanimity, but knowing there is truth behind it causes one to shiver.

The most amazing feature, though, is the author’s characterisation. We are in the minds of the characters, and the story is told from that perspective, rather than concentrating on the brutality of events. Again, I appreciated that.


Please do read this, if only to understand what havoc cults can cause. Well done to the author; a difficult subject well handled!



No comments: