Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Here's a bit of an explanation for you ...

… sounds dramatic, doesn't it? 😉 

Just thought I'd do a BEFORE and AFTER of Lore and Ancient Terra's covers. Those of you who do visit here often may recall the 'before', but you may still find this interesting!

Firstly, this explanation is for the most recent set of covers. A number of the Lore books have been published before (with publishers and their artwork), and I have no need or call to judge those. As of last year (after a lot of stressful hours at my computer), I have, for the most part, designed my own covers … and some of them still needed tweaking. Secondly, the author I am now prefers autonomy, and I go with my gut. I need to like my covers, and when it doesn't feel right, go on, change it - my writing motto. Thus, tweaks! 

Let's start with Lore of Arcana's four:

BEFORE


AFTER


I discovered after uploading the original four that I can create a 3D effects for letters (in this case, author name and series title and number). While preferring the simple look for the Lore books (the stories are complicated enough!), I wanted to do that here (might not be that obvious in these small collages) and therefore started the process. But, ha, why not add those little extras while at it, right?

So, essentially the Arcana covers are the same, just added to. I do feel they pop more now, especially the Drowned Throne. Considering a volcano does explode, which leads to tidal waves that drown a particularly dangerous seat of power, the cover showcases it more. As that book is literally the book of battles, it's often ignored, which is a pity because so much happens in it, and that may have had to do with the cover. Here's hoping!

Lore of Reaume
BEFORE



AFTER


Again, shadows for author name and series title and number, and a few extras. For Kallanon, Sleeper and Dreamer, more drama, but as you will notice, I completely redid the Nemisin Star. The original cover always rankled, did not quite like it, for, sure, there's the Keep and there's the Star, and yet it didn't reveal the sacred nature of the story within. A star that shines on one night every year in a holy place, the site of twins Tristamil and Tymall's destiny? Nope, needed something different. Thus …

Lore of Sanctum
BEFORE



AFTER


Okay, so you'll notice they are NOT essentially the same! The Nemesis Blade's cover was too generic, in my opinion, and now you see the great mountains, the sacred arches, light pillars - far more fitting. Echolone Mine, well, the standing stones remain, but the strange world found beyond an ancient door in a mine is now showcased. As for Nowhere Sphere: the nowhere sphere is still on the cover, and yet the story is more grounded. There are mountains from where a watcher may look up and wonder; it isn't merely an orb floating out there anymore. Now, the Master Mechanism … time, space, distance, beauty, the deep … need I say more?

Ancient Terra

BEFORE


AFTER


Avaelyn and Avior are the new kids, of course, being recently published, and their covers simply needed small changes, largely to do with using the circle across all the AT books, as well as updating the symbols. Eurue - mostly title and author name changes to fall in line with the rest. Farochin is much brighter now, and the cold blue circle nods at a proper Ice Age! Lykandir, as mentioned in another post, needed a complete rework; am thinking the bright look is far more attractive.


That's it with the explanations! It's quite an eye opener for me to see the BEFORE and AFTER also, but I solemnly swear to not touch the covers again for a loooong while 😇😂

No comments: