Friday, May 30, 2014

Wisecracker


Excerpt:


Wisecracker


“A Sceptre,” Folly then muses. “Fitting for an adventurer. A thing of change, a stave to lean on, a symbol of leadership, and even a weapon.” He takes his card from a pocket and lays it alongside Rhodry’s. “I received the Wisecracker … kind of poetic, given my name. Wisecracker,” he snorts. “My father called me everything from joker and fool to jester, but my mother called me the mischievous wisecracker.” He makes a face. “I don’t carry all my worldly possessions with me in one patterned carpetbag and I’m certainly not a nomad, but I have no idea where I’m going in life or what I’m to do with it. Smile and joke through uncertainty. Isn’t that the usual interpretation? These dice, though, this whistle …?” He blinks, stares, and then taps the cards. “Tarot images. She has a master deck and she plays to win.”



No comments: