Saturday, November 15, 2014

Justine's Journal #13

500 Words 52 Weeks


This is how it began: Justine (not her real name) decided to write 500 words (or as near as), anything goes, per week for 52 weeks. She would then submit it for anonymous posting, via me, her friend. Perhaps a pattern will emerge from her words, but at this stage it’s more an experiment I have agreed to share in. I’ll attempt to draw conclusions at the end of this. Stay tuned if this resonates with you.

Week 13


'Lucky number 13? Or as unlucky as we expect?

The latter, I’m afraid.

This week, though, it isn't about my luck, it’s about someone close to me. This week I have seen her run a gamut of emotions, from severe depression to absolute highs. And no, there were no drugs or drink involved, and no medication of the prescription kind either. It was purely emotional and the cause was the relationships between family members.

I know she won’t appreciate me airing any of it even in this anonymous mode, and thus I will respect that (she reads these journal entries). I intend to rather ask a question, of her, of myself, and of you.

Why is it so hard to be objective when it comes to relationships?

As thinking, breathing sentience, we should surely be capable of seeing beyond the restrictions of emotion, look into the other person’s heart (or soul) and just for a moment see with their feelings, and thus understand their viewpoint. I believe if we are able to acknowledge how another regards a situation, we will learn to be more objective. There are always two sides (at least) to a story, for no one ever sees it in quite the same manner, and if we can teach ourselves to see those multiple viewpoints, even if we are personally involved in the developing situation, I believe much of the contrariness in relationships will form by the wayside. For we will realise how feelings colour everything, and as we acknowledge the other’s colouring of the situation, we are better able to deal with it.

Maybe it’s not quite objectivity, but it’s certainly understanding, and understanding is also compassion and compassion leads to the willingness to make amends, to fix a situation with a glad heart.

My friend, I’ll stop it here, but I hope you are able to see all sides in order to find understanding, and I hope he will do so as well, for then you may talk and find compassion for each other and the situation will resolve itself without you even having to try.

I’m holding thumbs for you.'



No comments: