Monday, April 25, 2016

The King's Challenge #285

TKC 285

As the swift vessel races through atmosphere, I grip Leffandir by the neck and hiss into her face, “We are going where we will find Enris. Tell the pilot to obey my commands.”

The woman blinks and then gives the smallest nod.

I release her.

“Captain, we are under the command of Lady Makar,” Leffandir states in a firm voice.

The man jerks back to stare at me and then at Leffandir. He may never have seen his Empress before, but he knows her intrinsically. The recognition is inbred. “Empress?”

“Do as I say,” she snaps.

Swallowing, he faces forward. A flyer is for single combat and thus he is alone; he proceeds to punch codes and then asks, “Where are we going?”

“The Ilfin command carrier.”

Again he glances over his shoulder, paling, and then his shoulders stiffen and he continues his input. “Strap in.” He does not again move other than to fly the vessel.

We take seats. There are only four, tightly fit into a small space. While this craft is for single combat, it is also employed to ferry others to destinations in a hurry. Sometimes that can be a mission expert or it may be a dignitary needing to be somewhere without delay.

Damin is beside me, while Leffandir sits as frozen in the seat before me. I stare at her golden hair. She isn’t much of an Empress now in her earthly guise; she is dirty and appears without purpose. However, this is the Glonu ruler and one must never underestimate her.

Suddenly she looks back at me. “I believe I must thank your dog for returning to me my real form.”

“For Enris?”

A swift smile erupts. “Indeed.” She faces forward again.

Damin murmurs, “That will be an interesting meeting.”

Indeed.

“The Ilfin are evacuating the planet,” the pilot states then, his tone expressionless.

I smile. Gennerin followed orders. It is time for the endgame.



No comments: