Monday, March 25, 2019

Review: Shakyamuni's Pearl by Ken Fry

Shakyamuni's Pearl: A ThrillerShakyamuni's Pearl: A Thriller by Ken Fry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have now read a fair number of Ken Fry’s thrillers, and this one is another WOW. I did find this thrilling adventure different from the others and it has to do with the setting and the history and culture, I believe. Set in Japan, where a giant pearl that looks like Buddha was lost centuries ago, this is an intriguing read. For one, I found the tale of the ama (women divers) interesting, and needed to know more about them. Also, the desire for a return to the old ways by the antagonists (Flaming Flag and yakuza) had me quite breathless – seriously cruel and uncaring in how they will achieve it.

So, there’s a legend about a giant pearl and everyone wants it, and will kill to own it. The action moves seamlessly from land to sea, including underwater, and the race is on to find it. Add in giant squid, HUNGRY squid, and this is an adventure of note. Like with all Mr Fry’s novels, I end up seeing the movie as I read it, for a great movie this one will make!

Highly recommended to readers who love a good thriller and a grand adventure. This is a treasure hunt of note!


View all my reviews

No comments: