Thursday, July 7, 2016

The King's Challenge (ILFIN OF ARC) #352

TKC 352

I cannot with certainty say if the soul chooses to take on form or whether Enris’ desperate call creates something from the ether, but a presence shimmers into being, bent over Enris, snarling rage, one arm poised to strike at him anew.

“Enris!” he shouts, scrambling out from under her. “Iliri, look at me; I am Enris.” Somehow he manages to wriggle completely away and vaults to his feet, both hands splayed before him. “See me, sister.”

The form straightens. There is no solidity about it; it is the etherealness Glonu are able to assume. That makes a certain sense, given this soul had been trapped in a Glonu vessel for a long time. It is definitely female, but she has no face, merely a suggestion of expression. I see only a thirst for revenge.

I say not a word. I have the distinct impression that if I dare utter even the smallest sound, the form will absorb not only my essence but also my physical being.

Enris turns his hands to present them palms up; the gesture of peace. “Sister, we fought together and we died together. You know me.”

The figure pauses. About to launch its ghostliness at Enris, it clearly hesitates. I hold my breath.

“You see me,” Enris murmurs. “And I see you. You are no longer bound, Iliri; you are free, but freedom here means an eternal wander. The orb has been deployed and soon there will be nothing left for you.” He steps closer, still holding his hands out. “Join with me, sister. I will take you back to Makaran and there you will be reborn. I swear it.”

The ethereal woman cocks her head and is otherwise unmoving.

My gaze flicks to Enris. I am aware the man always keeps his word. An oath, to him, is his honour. Returning my attention to the woman, I wonder if she knows this about her brother.

She does. The soul always knows.

I gape in wonder as the ghostly form slowly approaches Enris and clings to him. For brief moments I see him through a clasp of arms and legs … and then the woman is gone. She never made a sound.


Enris falls to his knees. “So much agony,” he whispers. “So much. She suffered, but she will suffer no more.” He lifts a tear-stained face to me. “Now we must return to Iniri before she suffers the same agony.”


No comments: