Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Interview with Author Poppet: Celebrating Master of Umbra

Writing World has a real treat for you! An interview with an amazing author!

POPPET!


This lovely lady possesses an imagination most writers drool over and pine for. We have reviewed a fair few of Poppet's books here and every time we are simply blown away! Thus this opportunity to speak to Poppet is a treat indeed!

The first Poppet book I ever read was Exploits. That was when I fell in love with her work!


Now, a few years after Exploits, Poppet has penned and published a host of tales. Each is different; there is certainly something for every reader. From children's stories, through young adult into the realms of super powers and ancient history - something for everyone!

Today we celebrate Poppet's latest release Master of Umbra by chatting to her, showcasing Umbra and by posting all them links you need. Yes, we've reviewed Master of Umbra on Writing World...thus we know already it's an AWESOME read!


Title: Master of Umbra by Poppet
 Genre: Paranormal Romance

Book description:

Deliah is in grave danger, running for her life from a man who needs her dead, when serendipity plants her in the path of the Master of Umbra.

Inducted into the mysterious Eagle clan of the Scottish highlands, Deliah is torn between her fate and destiny when kin clash for her affections. Falling for the scandalous villain who heads the Berserkers of the Hebrides, her fragile hope is snuffed out early by revelation and impending war.

The only mantra she can cling to is the one uttered in heartfelt promise; that love comes back.

Because that's what love does.


Link on Amazon US:

Link on Amazon UK:


Excerpt:

“What do you want?” he snaps, in that impatient drawl.
“Er... I can't get confrontational in the dark,” I mumble, losing courage.
“I bet you're plenty confrontational in the dark.” Gripping my arm in the 'master is not pleased' grind, he marches me deeper into the darkness, muttering, “Dressed like that only reinforces the image.”
“What's wrong with the way I'm dressed?” I argue, wishing he'd slow down already.
He laughs, and it's cold, “Sweetie, it looks like you're either going to put me over your knee, or beg me to put you over mine.”
“Oh go get knotted–”
“Did you leave any beer in the vat when you finished sucking it dry? Ulfhednar head is white and frothy, just the way you like it.”
“I did not–”
“You're more baked than clay and you're going to be just as dehydrated come sunup. What the hell were you thinking?” he chastises, hauling me into a grotto ready to raise the dead. Candles and steam haunt the room like old lovers getting nostalgic.
“What the hell was I thinking?” Now you've done it mister twat. “I was thinking you require trepanning so you can deflate your fucking ego.”
He turns to scowl down at me, his chest embroidered with white scars which map bridges over his extreme musculature. I'm trying very hard not to gawk, but bleedin' heck, he looks like an action man who grew up on a uranium farm, except of course for the tortured gaze he pegs me with when he folds his arms and bursts veins out in wild rivulets. They ridge in the flickering candlelight, shadowing his bulk with a net of strength.
What was he doing here exactly, in just his baggies?

Fuck! Was he expecting his date to show up and I walked in where I'm not welcome?


And now to the lady herself:

Welcome to Writing World, Poppet! Those of us who know you and know your work are aware of your ‘style’. How would you describe  your work to potential readers?

Dramatic, tense, dark, salacious, emotive.
  
Which book was the most difficult for you to write and finish?

Aisyx. I crammed so much into such a short space and it was a book that felt like it was never going to end while I was writing it.


Where do you get your inspiration from? (and what light-bulb moment set you on the path to becoming an author?)

Mostly dreams, but even a random word can spark an entire idea.

You clearly do loads of research for each book (yes, we do notice!) and yet a writer needs first to be interested in a subject in order to weave it into a story. The Valhalla series is no different, and readers will certainly ‘feel’ the depth of research and interest. My question is, how much was research and how much was existing knowledge in your mental files just waiting to be used? Lol, how big are those files???

Most of it was 'just waiting to be used'. Most of the novels I've written over the last year are full of snippets of info I've wanted to utilize in my work. I'm a random trivia junkie and I loved exposing snippets of incite into my newest novels. However when it comes to the location I certainly do need to do research, even if it's a fantasy setting, that setting must be plausible. It's not every day I email a ranger and ask for the geological survey of the area he works in. I am thorough because my fans are picky.


What are you working on right now?

So many things, Elaina. Lordy where do I even begin. I have a bad habit of multitasking (even though I'm awful at it), so have started 4 books and tend to hop between them. I also spend a lot of time doing promo posters, marketing, book trailers, blogging, covers, and formatting my books for both ebook and print. On top of that I do reviews which means I have no free time. I haven't for years and wonder how far a lady can push herself before she pops a blood vessel in her brain. I have too many ideas and too little time to write down every story I want to write. Then finding a publisher and waiting the allotted time is another stress which I don't cope well with. Coming up this year is Ascend in Ius (due out Friday with Vamptasy Publishing), Moonshine Express (due out August with Eibonvale Press), Viridian Vamporium, Over Exposure (the sequel to Darkroom, due out with Wild Wolf Publishing), and Master of Skadi. To name just a few.


Can't wait to read Master of Skadi! Need to know who wins...Raven, Eagle...or Wolf? And finally, before we let you go, these (because we like to know these things!):

Favourite book: Moonheart – Charles de Lint
Favourite movie: Strange Days
Favourite TV series: Supernatural
Favourite colour: Blue
Favourite food: Pizza
Favourite drink: Coffee
Favourite pet: My smooshy
Favourite season: Summer
Favourite place: Bed

It was great chatting to Poppet! Now them links. Go on, connect, and discover the many titles this lovely lady has in store for you!


***********

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!!! I was here!!!

Poppet Author said...

This rocks! Thanks Elaina! Muuuaaah! x

Elaina J. Davidson said...

Muuuaaah!!!

Hi Kelly and ta for leaving a comment!