Saturday, July 11, 2015

Justine's Journal #47

52 Weeks 500 Words


This is how it began: Justine (not her real name) decided to write 500 words (or as near as), anything goes, per week for 52 weeks. She would then submit it for anonymous posting, via me, her friend. Perhaps a pattern will emerge from her words, but at this stage it’s more an experiment I have agreed to share in. I’ll attempt to draw conclusions at the end of this. Stay tuned if this resonates with you.

Week 47

"This past week ended up being pretty hectic and I didn’t even get the chance to write properly in my private under-my-pillow journal. There are a few functions happening in my area, with loads of charities getting involved, and as I like to volunteer for good causes, I found myself a little harassed by day’s end, and a lot tired.

So I did this: I wrote one word in my journal to describe the day.

Looking back over five entries like that, I am surprised by how much one word can describe so much. In that one word is a full day of action, of emotion, of how I felt as the day ended.

Monday – frazzled
Tuesday – bone-tired
Wednesday – contented
Thursday – weary-happy
Friday – laughing

Okay, so some were two words J But do you see the progression? It began with loads of set-up work and ended in the culmination events last night, which went smoothly and everyone had fun. Later this evening, we will pack it all up and I think my word then will be ‘exhausted’!

It was a good week. I made new friends and learned much about people and their willingness to help others without expecting payment other than the satisfaction of a job well done. This fills me with a glow. To me, this means we are still good as humankind and we still use our humanity. This is very special. If all of us would do something ‘extra’ no matter how small, we can change the world.

A smile can change the world! Try it. As you do your weekly shopping, pushing your trolley around crowded aisles, smile at someone. In most cases that someone will actually smile back and both your worlds suddenly feel brighter. This is very special also.

The one word entries led to a form of enlightenment, for me. I realised we do not need loads of words to describe an emotion, that a word can say so much even in singular. We do trip ourselves up, don’t we, when we try too hard to say something. Too many words can lead to misunderstanding. On the flipside, one word may say too little, so we need a happy compromise. And this is what I will try in future, use my happy compromise. When busy, it’s one word, but if I feel afterwards it needs more explanation, I’ll add something more. At the very least, that one word serves as a reminder and becomes something to build on.

I am so pleased life teaches us new ways all the time. And I am so pleased to know we are able to make new connections simply by smiling and lending a helping hand. Sometimes we live in an okay world!"



No comments: